Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 6 #15

I went to Wikipedia first to get a definition and info on what Library 2.0 means.
The idea of our younger users (K-3rd grade first quarter) having a valid reason for OPEC is not valid at this point. At this point I do not see OPEC as released to flow in every direction (library to user, user to library, library to library, and user to user).
It also seemed that Library 2.0 is garnered toward the active and empowered library user. My question is what about the user who uses it on occasion or even rarely? How does that user fit into the scheme of things?
I can only speak for the school library and the school librarian? I see school librarians slowly flowing in all directions for the patrons we serve. In working on my school project this year, I talked with one of the school district techs. Her comment is teachers across the district are very slow to embrace technology. So, my thought is where does it start in the individual school- the librarian or a single teacher? In my view, the finger is pointing at the librarian and the tech person for our school.
I think having a library coordinator who is drawn to technology and often focuses our quarterly meetings towards technology is a very good start. Next, what we as librarians do with this technology is the next step.

I read Dr. Wendy Schultz 2006 article called ...To a Temporary Place in Time. This is another article of what libraries used to be, what they are becoming, how libraries and librarians embrace technology and then winds back to customer service is everything. Like other individuals, I like writing from my home in casual clothes, no shoes on with my animals curled up around me but I also like the face to face contact with a person who has the knowledge I am seeking, in a place where that knowledge is tangibly stored with others seeking answers to their questions.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Follett is building in some Library 2.0 features in their Destiny product. Patrons, including students, have the ability to rate books and write reviews. Pretty slick for a K-12 OPAC.