Thursday, May 14, 2009

Week 8 Thing #19

I am so enthused about Library Thing. Reading is a often a solo activity. Library Thing allows the reader to join the rest of the world and find out what the world is reading and what the reader(s) think about it. It is so hip.
I put down my summer reading list on it. I found reviews for the different books, the number of readers who had read it, and the cover of the book. One of the choices to click on is this is a german word- zeitgeist- which means the spirit of the time. I also went in and looked at several groups. The one group listed as 1001 books to read before I die was a little daunting. There are books on the list I never planned on reading. If I take up the challenge, I may have to stretch a little. Is there a list out there for books each grade should read before ending that grade? Would I or others agree with it?
I haven't played with the wigits. I am just excited to find out about books I have read, what others have thought of them etc.
I have taken a 4th and 5th grade class to this site. The students are really interested and couldn't wait to play with this site. It fascinates me to watch students become engaged in a learning process. I love it that a site carries important information for both youth and adult. Library Thing does that.
Library Thing could be used to track books students are reading throughout the year.
Ann and I have had the conversation about students need to see the cover of a book when looking for books on the card catalog system. Students need to see the cover. It is a new way of perusing the shelves.
Again, a very useful website which can be used anywhere.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Not that you need 'another' site like Library Thing you might check out Shelfari.com and/or GoodReads.com. Similar products w/slightly different traits.

Imagine what it would be like if a parent set up an account for their child at one of these sites and worked with them to track all their reading from the time they start to read. What a reading log!!

Katie said...

So nice to find someone else who thinks these book related social networking sites are the neatest thing since sliced bread!!
I like using a widget on my blog to share the books I want students to take a look at.

Unknown said...

Leslie, hi...I 'm a library associate from Fairbanks in a PreK-6 school. Where do you work?

I've been reading your posts - sounds like you're dong wonderful things, especially with your 6th graders. Using the trading cards for inventors sounds great. I'm thinking you could use it for explorers as well. I'm curious, do you just see them for 30 minutes, or do you have them for longer? Although I am not new to school libraries, I am new to this building. Any tips on how to get your teachers to collaborate with you?

And finally...do you like my hat? Yes, I do like your hat!

Leslie Gale said...

to Sweetberry: I teach eleven classes a week. Due to the fact I have a small school, I teach them for an hour.
The sixth grade teacher has always been willing to collaborate with me. He is a such a cool guy. He changed his last hour Monday afternoon class to first thing Friday morning so I could get his students into the computer lab.
Collabortion somtimes just drops in my lap. For instance a teacher will come in and tell me a fantastic thing she/he did with the class and I am sometimes able to think of a book or collaborative project to go along with their learning. Leslie

Leslie Gale said...

Katie: I agree with both comments. That would be quite a reading log. A great visual.
Widgets Rock!!