Friday, June 12, 2009

Week 8 POST 19.1

Several years ago I took a class on the Alaska Digital Pipeline w/ Debbie Mole from UAA. This is a fantastic tool for students and teachers to use. All student websites have been reviewed and considered child safe and age appropriate. This is such a gift for students, teachers, principals, parents and the community at large. So often the wording is for an older crowd. I held a one day after school workshop to show students this site and gave them time to explore. I then showed several classes this site.
I don't use this site extensively. I am writing it down in my notebook to show students as a possible research tool. It is also fantastic to use for Alaska studies.
Using the photographs from Alaska Digital Archieves

I hit the jackpot this morning. I found both how to save a journal alert and a search alert in one fell swoop. Finding information/references via the old way or through computers can be incredibly time consuming. I think this tool is very useful and can be a time saver. Who ever thought up the idea of information coming to the user is a friend for life. The other part of this, is this tool is for the person who starts their research a head of time and not the person who may wait until the last minute to do it- ie. moi.

*The three interfaces: Elementary, Middle and High School
High School has more research tools to use than ele and middle school. However their is relative information for the older student. Facts For Learning can be used for all three age groups but is only found in elementary and middle school. High school could benefit from this but would have to seek it out.High School Weekly Reader can be accessed from middle school. Is Weekly Reader considered too "young" for the high schooler?

I have set up another file on items to show students and teachers. This one is labeled Ebsco. I sort of like ebsco. I find it a little cumbersome to use because there may be too many choices for me to use. Others will love them.
This has been the most difficult thing for me to do. I don't really know why. I am so glad to be pushing on to Week 9. Yahoo.

I have put this into my folder of items to show students and staff when school starts up again in Aug.

No comments: