Monday, June 22, 2009

Week 9 Thing 23

This class has taken me a year to finish. This was not one of those classes where I wanted to zip right through. Each thing required time to view, think about how to use it/work it first, and second how I could use it educationally and which grade to attach it too. The truth for me is I am not really done with this class, I want to go back and take more time and explore areas I don't feel comfortable I have a total grasp of it. RSS feeds are easy to do. At this writing I have forgotten some of the steps. I have this site to revisit.
Podcasts are another adventure I am excited about. What to download and listen to. Stories are to be found everywhere.
I am not crazy abut the Avatar look. I am a middle aged woman who has worked hard for my gray hair and the knowledge it covers.I don't want to look like a young woman. I think Avatars reflect our societies lust for youth.
I found out I love widgets. There are all kinds of widgets out there. They do many things. This will be fun to explore and add.
I love anything that easily keeps track of things for me. Book Thing went way beyond that. I would like students to keep track of books read either for pleasure or out of HM or other subject areas. Students could learn to write reviews and have these put on this handy webpage.
I agree with Renee about this blog. I have used it over and over again. It is easy to do, doesn't take long and records my experiences even if I don't always remember them now.
This is my ideal way of taking a class. It is self paced, my learning goes as slow or as fast as I want it too. Usually much faster than a year.
I am going to have one or two of my classes have a blog to write to. After seeing the space display at UAA last weekend, space is my theme this year in the library. I have used a blog in the past for sixth grade students to post their formal Newbery book reports on. Their writing skills improved greatly when they realized their peers would be reading them.
About the new tools we used. I feel the tools selected were perfect. I would be interested in learning more. Web 2.0 is changing so fast, and I want to keep it up so that the students I teach are competent if not just a little above others when taking over the reins of running the world.
Thank-you both Ann and Katie.

No comments: