Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Week 5 thing #12 Voice Threads

In March, one of the ASD librarians came out to Bartlett Area and gave us a lesson on voice threads. What a cool educational tool.There are so many uses for it educationally. Students can demonstrate any of the subjects on it, people can be permitted to dialog on it or not and it can be saved for awhile.
After watching the lesson this, I wanted to come back and have students work on this. One teacher I talked to wanted to do something with Mother's Day on it. This wasn't exactly what I have in mind.
I like that users have to be 13 to join this.
My sixth graders went into voice threads. I had them peruse the site. I also suggested to them they could use voice threads as one of the two visuals assigned for their current project. Presently, I do not have any takers.
In the projects, students have to do some research, write down what they want to say, have this edited,rewrite, come up with a picture- photo or drawing and then scan that and last record their words. There is so much learning being done by the student.
Another quality I like about voice threads is it seems incredibly safe for student usage. Did I mention I can't wait to start using it.

3 comments:

Ann said...

VT is one of the best things since sliced bread. So easy to use and so many educational uses.....

Let me know how you use it, and you can add it to the curriculum wiki for RAW

CMac said...

I agree. Voice threads are a lot of fun. There were a lot of VTs to enjoy. Several RAW2.0 students found great ones to embed. Check out Joni's.

Leslie Gale said...

RAW2.0? Great Acronym for this class. Took me a minute.
RAW is good. Leslie